Wednesday, June 21, 2006

One of the reasons for blobs of pink in my viewing glasses are the participants in Super Singer. Those who have been filtered so far, have been super sports. A couple had to withdraw. I am stunned at the way they retain their camaraderie and friendliness and keep cheering other participant's performances. There is no feelings of jealousy or untoward competitiveness. Each knows what he / she is worth and they just give their all in each performance. Several contestants have grown in their musicianship. Some keep reinventing themselves. When I think probably this person might not come back the next round, bang - he bounces back so much that the wall breaks. To such an extent that I am left with my mouth gaping and even if a fly took residence in their for a while I wouldnt have known. Sometimes people just crumble under pressure, and others shine out. Just like a diamond cant be easily extracted from the heart of the stone. The unwanted outsides have to be ground, chiselled, cut.... actually the diamond goes through torture. But when it does emerge in all its splendid glory, it has no equal. More than anything else, I find that the participants at this stage, all of them have their head on their shoulders. They know their minuses and accept it. And they work to fortify their pluses more.

One of the things I regret sometimes is that I never really had a group of friends. And now, I have met a few people and Super Singer has really made me meet a lot of people. I am more in touch with the people of my age group and of course I am the joke of the group. Most of the time, I cant get double entendres. Actually there seem to be several entendres to one particular word. But then I have a good time laughing along, one at my own dumbness, for which I am not sorry in this case and another because at the end of the day, my system has released enough endorphins to last ages :)

Several times, people have had trouble to look through the celeb tag and interact with me on a normal level. And I also wonder "what celeb tag"? And the first time that people took the guts to speak to me as their classmate or something were the final 15-20 participants. I have learnt a lot, about people, about myself, about judging, about music, about hosting a show, about speaking in tamil non stop, about goofing up and taking some 15 re takes, about the travails about conducting a show of this magnitude, how people keep their cool when all around there is mayhem. Several things.

And I eventhough one of the participants here will be another playback singer in the industry, that is the one super singer, and the others who have come this far, definitely stand a chance in making it soon, I believe that when we meet again, in the course of time, at shows, or recording when we work together, the easy rapport and the goodness that the participants have will remain. And so I pray.

5 comments:

Narayanan Venkitu said...

I've been hearing wonderful reviews about the Airtel show...Unfortunately..I don't get Vijay at home.!! Wish it came on the net somewhere!

So, when is the finals??

Sriram said...

"Just like a diamond cant be easily extracted from the heart of the stone. The unwanted outsides have to be ground, chiselled, cut.... actually the diamond goes through torture. But when it does emerge in all its splendid glory, it has no equal."

... really a very good example!!! hats off!!!

" Most of the time, I cant get double entendres. " ... tat shows u r still a child.. its good to be a child... be the same!!!

Ram Iyer said...

hi chinmayi,

i appreciate your thought too,
of standing out of the so-called "celeb tag" thereby
enabling people get to interact with you more freely.

regards
sRi

PS - have you seen : www.blogswara.in

Vijay Narain said...

Hey nice write-up.BTW will ther be a Super Singer 2 ??I'm praying there is coz I feel real bad for having missed this one.If thr is,hope U host it 2!U'r doin a jolly good job..keep it up:)

krithi said...

Hi. I do agree with you. It takes tenacity to bounce back and keep one's cool. And still believe in oneself even after rejection at some level. Given this scenario, i was apalled to find a hoarding that actually put a cross mark over the rejected people. Didn't you have a say in this matter? Going by what you've said, I surely feel u too would condemn this act. I've written about this in my blog as well.
I appreciate the good work you are doing. Keep it up!