Saturday, October 03, 2009

A Guided tour around AVM studios

I have worked in AVM Studios for several years now, off and on of course. All of Super Singer was shot there. And most of the TV interviews as well. A couple of movies too were dubbed there. Sillunu Oru Kadhal and Modhi Vilayaadu. A lot of wonderful memories are associated with AVM. My first ever dubbing session and the first ever shot as a TV presenter were at the legendary studios.

I happened to request an appointment to meet Sri AVM Saravanan this morning in order to thank him following the State Award for Sahana. As I stepped into his offices it was almost like a stepping in to some other era. Photographs of every production of the AVM Studios, with the first in 1935, the vintage Ford motorcar, the wonderful microphones which have recorded the golden voices, the first ever camera, Sri AV Meyyappa Chettiar's passport, the dealer agreement with Ford for the car he procured, his spectacles, notes in English in his perfect handwriting, TC, Driving license, the first ever contract signed with T R Mahalingam... It was humbling to be in that building.

We met Saravanan sir as soon as we stepped in to the building and I was informed that he had sent a letter congratulating me as soon as the announcement was made but it had gone to an older address. The few minutes of spending time at his office would definitely be one of the most memorable ones in my life. The perfection, discipline and the sheer class that he exuded - I thought it is a bygone era. I saw all that in Sri AVM Saravanan. I was given another copy of the letter that was originally dispatched on the 29th of September and somehow I had this indescribably beautiful feeling when I read through the letter. I have heard reputed artistes of Tamil Cinema say that at one point in time it used to be tough to step into the premises of AVM studios. The words rang again in my ears today. Today was special. It was just not another trip into AVM for me.

As a 12 year old I had decided, with no two ways about it and giving no choice to the Universe, that I shall be a playback singer. And I shall work at becoming a singer of merit. My dream, the prayer was heard and in just about 3-4 years I stepped foot inside Rahman sir's studio. I know how much I have pined to be singing professionally. And prayed for the opportunities that have come my way thereafter.

After looking through history at the office, I happened to see the first day cover of the stamps on A V Meyyappa Chettiar and asked the office if I could have one stamp. And they gave me one for my collection.

Meeting Sri AVM Saravanan was also like another reminder to myself to follow old time values, discipline and protocol. I realized how important and valuable it is. And I thanked God for being blessed to do that I have always wanted to do.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

i saw your , kalaignar tv interview , it was good . you sing really good .

sramven said...

a good post...lanes, buildings which were once our companion will always bring great smiles adorning our face :):)

wishing u happy days ahead:):)

Anonymous said...

AVM Chettiar was a very great man with humble qualities. To begin one's career under him was considered to be a Good Fortune! Films produced by him had that stamp of Quality to make people eagerly await their release.

Divya.S said...

hi chinmayi akka im divya here... kaushik's friend frm singapore... im a huge fan of urs... pls accept my facebook request ty!

`J` I` S` H` U` said...

Hi akka,
Wishes and cheers 4 ur award..prayers to get another..
keep rockin..!!!!

முத்தரசன் said...

me too saw you in kalaignar tv... you are awesome

Anonymous said...

abdulkadermarican: gr8 post, i cld feel the vibe congrats, i think u r capable to receive more awards all e best, hum i waana go to avm one day. tk nitez ;d)

My share of life said...

I am sure you must be knowning this - Shri AVM Saravanan had written a book (don't remember the title now) which tells about how he brought the rare habits and professional attitude into him. One good book.

Sathiya said...

Seeing your description about AVM office, it's really tempting to see it.....

பட்டாம்பூச்சி said...

Congrats for bagging the state award!!!!

Praveen Venkatachari said...

The contribution of AVM to the film industry is boundless.It is hard to imagine the state of Tamil film industry without the presence of such a GIANT.

The simplicity of Mr.AVM Saravanan, despite controlling such a massive organization, deserves a special mention.

Rakesh said...

Hi Chinamyi,

kudos! for the award,Hope you grab many like this.God has bestowed this award for your arduos work in the art,which had taken the winds out of the sails during your nurture.Great week ahead.

vidhya said...

Hey, I really miss you when I watch Super Singer nowadays. Quality of singers is still as good, but the programme would have been better if it had been you doing the talking.. I've a bad feeling that it is loosing its lusture that you had created.

Anonymous said...

Hello again.. I saw your show on Mega tv which you have done with Uma Ramanan. Especially, you did a great job singing "Thesulavudhe" and "maiya maiya" songs.. what a rendition of your voice. Your voice sounds diffrent in each song that you sing. It is so commendable. I enjoyed the final part where you turned as a baby for those sweets :-D Keep rocking.. All the best..

Madhan said...

congrats on ur state award!! :)

I came across this webpage http://www.katinkahesselink.net/his/kalakshetra.html this link says "Dr. Padmasini remembers well the time she and Kamalarani used to sing for Rukmini Devis solo recitals. They would go door to door with handbills advertising the programme and selling tickets. People would look at the handbill and refuse to buy the tickets. But slowly these attitudes changed."

Is that a reference to your mother?? Has ur mother been a vocalist for Dr.Rukumini Devi arundale?

Vijai said...

Hi Chin
it was so warm to read about ur visit to AVM studios. If its open to public people too...then we could have also enjoyed. Like they make it for the universal studios and other in USA, we should also be make it open so that we know our own pride...
(but its sad that whenever somebody enters the studio the watch man is the president to behave so indifferent)

Sriram said...

Congrats Chinmayi!