Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The joy of finding someone long lost

Is exemplary. There was this girl mom met years ago, when she was taking classes at NIIT. A newly married beautiful Punjabi girl. And mom couldn't stop talking about her since and eventually I met her too.
As days passed the relationship between the families deepened. She was stationed in Chennai for not too long. Maybe about a couple of years. In her I found a friend, a sister, a voice of reason in addition to my mother. Got to know the lively lovely Punjabi Culture, got introduced to this thing called Worldspace, saw her through a Karva Chauth. And then at that time I thought I should only marry into a Punjabi family. Of course, she drummed sense into me the veggie, and said I am never going to find a Punjabi who doesn't love his chicken tikka. But somehow, I think I should have a previous janma connection with the culture. I adore it and love the people.
Time passed. Her husband and she moved to Jaipur. We continued to stay in touch. When we went to Delhi, we drove down to Jaipur and met up with her and the newest addition, a bonny baby boy - Dhruv. Mom was beside herself. She had a Punjabi grandson :) We discovered the marvel that is Jaipur while staying with her. I still seem to remember the zing in the air of Jaipur, the cycle-rickshaw ride, the malai lassi typical of Jaipur that cant be found anywhere else and I have a special love for the Kundan Jewellery :) Anything that is Rajasthan style jewellery.
They moved to Delhi. And somewhere then, we lost touch. In all these years, I would be reminded of her several times, the times we spent together. And also tried to find her. Tried Orkut with no luck. Remembered her old Email ID, wrote in and that bounced. Several times I willed her to get in touch with me. When I went to Delhi earlier this year I tried to see if there was a way I could find her. Futile.
And today, I log in to Facebook. My Inbox shows two unread messages. One profile with a picture, one without. And the one without spelled out her name. "This is me from the good old days.. see that you have become Big time"...
I felt this ripple of gurgling joy that I have not felt in ages... Of finding someone again. When I spoke to her, she told mom that their moment of "Aha" happened when they were watching the Star Screen Awards ceremony on TV and saw my name in the list of nominees. That I had sung Tere Bina was major for them. And that I was part of Mayya mayya too, was major-er. :)
Spoke to her for quite a while. Did a quick catch up of the years that had flown by.
And am planning to go see her soon, God willing. My nephew is 5 and a half. And I have a pretty niece who is 9 months old.
The world is a pink nice happy place.
And somehow, I dont know why I am signing off this way for the past few posts. But this is wishing for you, that you discover something that you thought you lost and that which gives you the joy that I feel right now. And that the joy within you permeates the beings around you too. So that the small world that all of us have created for us, around us, becomes a joyous place. When you smile, may it radiate from within. And may you connect with the joy that is the core of the universe.
Thathaastu.
P.S: Happy Ganesh Chaturthi! Ganpati Bappa Morya..!!!

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi chinmayi, I know exactly what you mean, because I have experienced it too. I found my long lost childhood best friend through orkut one day and I will never forget that day. No words to describe the joy. And at another time I have said exactly those last few words of yours to someone who means a lot to me. So you brought back memories. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi. - Uma.

Anonymous said...

Great! How I wish I could connect to the people I keep remembering from my young age when there was no concept of Internet. Hmmm... God willing hoping for some ways I could catch up with people I lost in touch with and still hold dear to heart!

Happy Vinayaka chathurthi!

Cheers
Viji R

Anonymous said...

Do you ever sleep?
Look at the time you've posted!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! Happy days, eh..

Aruthi said...

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
Very nice post.
Aruthi

Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry. Such a lovely post that the joy got contagious...
At an odd time in the night, without even reading the whole of it, I only had to comment on the time of its post.
The reason for your signing off the way you had mentioned you were doing of late is that you are happy and not just that. It's a delightful inner feeling that keeps you smiling for sometime to come even while alone. For, you've got back your lost one. And I've experienced it too.
And when you experience it, you sincerely wish it happens to all around you.
All good for others and you....
Those vibes will have an impact...Sure!!!

I know your day starts much early.
But, here's wishing you a great day at work, home and wheresoever :)

And you can already see that you've made my day..

Chitra said...

Nice post ! am sure ur thrilled to bits. Happy Vinayak Chathurthi to you too.
My Best

Maddy said...

I understand your feeling as it happened to me as well sometime ago. After 20 years I met a classmate and time just passed when we started talking. Good that you are happy and rejoice. All the very best!! Let you get the opportunity soon to see your nephew and niece. Its show how much you are connected with them.

I could guess how busy you are, but since you are blogging from 2005,why don’t you visit your long lost blog friends pages once and comment, give them a surprise and happiness. ( I am here since 6 months only).

Hope you had nice Amma’s Kozhukattai!! Ganapathi papa Morya..!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I Know what u are feeling rt now..itz an amazing feeling/ a nervousness/a joy with excitment to find one who is close to our heart,yet somehow v lost tuch ..trulY amazing..and i myself have found my childhood fren thru orkut!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice, cool, sweet and everything :)

gils said...

//Do you ever sleep?
Look at the time you've posted!!//

repeato :)) nice post tho'...i've had similar exp. in orkut..en first team mate..6 yearsa no contact..orkutla en college matea pudichen..mutual friendsla en first team mate nameum vanthuchi..kadisila paatha avanga ivan wife..and best part was she was in the same company as mine but difft department :D kadisila org. mergerkaprum ipo oray team aaitom again :)apdieye naalai namathay mari irukula :))

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

That is indeed a very nice feeling to get in touch back with a long lost friends. It recently happened to me in ORkut too when I met 2 of my child hood friends , one was very elder to me thou' and he was not able to actually corelate with me now.. Very funny sometimes :)

Happy Vinayaka Chaturthi to you and ur family. Hope you had a nice day :)

Teshu said...

It's nice to read another Facebook success story :) I graduated from Kodai school and 89 of us bid a tearful farewell back then. Fifteen years have passed and now I am back in touch with 84 of them. Four more to go and all of us friends have decided we will track them no matter where they are hiding :D

Am sure if you do a bit of Facebook search you will find lot of your schoolmates too!

Anonymous said...

Hai akka,
Nice to hear akka..Happy cheerful days.Advance birthday wishes akka.May all ur dreams come true and lead a healthy life.
-jishu

பிரியமுடன்... said...

உண்மை சொல்லவா!
உலகம்
உருண்டை!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chinmayi,
Really feeling glad abt this post... Everytime, when i received a friend request 2 join any community, i never accepted... I had a feeling that phone number irukkulla(I mean 2 say, i really never used 2 accept when my friends tell me abt the importance of these communities...) But now, i really hav decided 2 join orkut...
I wish i can find many of my school friends and keep in touch...
Thanks 2 u 4 this post...
Keep blogging!!! Keep rocking!!!

Shankar said...

That feels soo good...... Am sure all of us would be missing atleast one close friend we had in old days, We might not become close buddies again, but yes its like reliving your old days for a few moments... We suddenly tend to get soo nostalgic.. :)

Anonymous said...

Here in Singapore itself, it seems difficult to get in touch with people whom we have lost contact with. I suppose it is a 2-way issue. Sometimes, it is the one person who searches and it might not matter as much to the other party. Whatever it is, the joy of finding someone back is immeasurable espeially when it holds unforgettable memories. If the happiness can be so great in a small, red dot, I can just imagine the impact across borders!

Aboorva said...

Hi,

Nice post, I just remember Bapu message
"It is easy enough to be friendly to one's friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Anonymous said...

hey nice post... reminds me of the list of friends with whom i'v lost touch... and btw congrats on your 100th post of this year... :)

Lavanya said...

Hi Chimayi
I know you as only a singer but after visiting your blog I knew you are very talented. I love to read your blog. This one on long lost friends touched me. I have a lady in Chennai named Vijayaloga and I am trying to get in contact with her for the past 8 years. Very nice friend of mine. She lives in Palavanthangal and me in Dallas after I got married. If only I can find her. Your blog has motivated me to find my friend. Thank you so much.

Chinmayi Sripada /Chinmayee said...

to anonymous who didnt want the comment published here..: I don't need proxies. and as for the two words - high hopes buddy... not interested. I am not your league. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Chinmayi,
Many more happy returns of the day... Hav a great year ahead... My wishes 2 u in all ur endeavours in the coming year... Jus rock, as u always do... Hav a wonderful birthday...

Anonymous said...

Teshu sorry am leaving a comment here. Can u plz moderate ur commentz n publish them ??? I have left so many on ur blog but none gets published!!! n u dont reply to them also!

Anonymous said...

Happy B'day Chinmayi. Many more happy returns of the day... - Jawahar

Madhu Saravana Sibi said...

Hey Chinmayi,

I'm from Austin, USA. I'm a big fan of your program in Aahaa FM. Was listening to Reihana's program and realized that your b'day is Sep 10th - the same as mine. Wanted to wish you a happy b'day and very good luck in your career.

Take care,
G.Sibi

Aruthi said...

Wishing you very happy birthday Chinmayi & May this year bring more and more successes and joys!

Aruthi***

Anonymous said...

Hi Chinmayi
Many many happy returns of the day. May GOD bless you with good health, lots of wealth and Cheer.
Continue rocking on Aaha FM as usual in the coming years also
Regards
Ananth

Mathavan said...

Happy birthday Chinmayi.

Anonymous said...

Hai akka,
Wishing you a many more''Happy returns'' of the day ! This many more should continue as 'Money More''the upcoming years...Let Nominations and award winning be filled in ur carrier.Once again Wishes for ur prosperous,healthy,wealhy life.
Birthday song for u,
''Happy birthday to you..
May god bless u dear,
Nominations r very near,
Face it with cheer,
Happy birthday to u...
Sorry no music composition.
Kevalama irundha tensun aayida dheengo.
-Jishu

Anonymous said...

Happy Chinmayi Jayanthi.....
Best wishes...

Amudhan.

Anonymous said...

there are so many people that i have lost touch with ,from my school days, and uni days, and search for desperately on the net, facebook etc! this post really touched a nerve,and filled my heart with sweet pain! thank you for sharing!