Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Also in Trichy....

While we climbed up Ucchi Pillaiyar on Friday and settled on the rocks after Darshan, (that was an issue though, I kept slipping down) Pradeep told us about Michael's ice cream. So I went hunting for that too. Our driver knew where it was and when I asked him what's so special about Michael's Ice cream, it was the price first. Sold at 2/- bucks. And they said it tastes good as well. It has been there ever since the time of the British according to the driver.
Off we went hunting and actually saw that Vanilla was sold for 2/-, Chocolate for 3/-.
The experience of having a rendu roobai icecream is quite fantastic. If you go looking for Michael's don't expect a waltz on your taste buds or anything.

There is a small coffee shop near the Ranganatha Swamy Temple in Srirangam. Its open from 4:30 AM to 8:30 AM in the morning and then opens again from 3:00 to 5:30 in the evening. And this guy sells only coffee. Nothing else. So I tried that as well and kinda liked it. Heard that people there are addicted to that coffee.

Did not really get to sample food on these lines. Maybe some other time..

So if you are in Trichy next, do check these places out and let me know. I don't know the exact location of Michael's Ice Cream but anyone and everyone knows how to get there.

12 comments:

Kumaresan said...

Michael's is just opposite to main guard gate..its a must go place in all my trips to trichy.

முகுந்தன் said...

There is one small tiffen shop near the temple. I will try to recollect the name. sambar vadai and rava dosai are delicious .price is also less than Rs5 .

Anonymous said...

The coffee shop is called Murali Kadai..its right next to the srirangam police station...earlier they used to sell dosai, idly and uthappam...now they sell only coffee..

Kavya

Anonymous said...

Hi Chinmayee -

Your blog brought wonderful memories of the time I had when I used to stay in Trichy.

Anonymous said...

Chinmayi,

I am sure you must have had training in classical (probably carnatic) before your sojourn into Film music. What is your take on the popular notion that folks lose their sense of music once they start singing film songs. Are you into the Kutcheri circuit ?

As for me, I am a fan of both Carnatic and film music. As far as I am concerned, anything that sounds good is music. I used to listen actively to a particular Carnatic musician, but have the feeling that of late, this person has lost his touch after singing a lot of film music. But I am not sure if this is coincidental.

What is your honest take on this ?

Mahesh

Rathish saravanan said...

hi... chinmayi heard u listen to lots of arabic songs.. can u suggest me some artist , album and websites to download the same.. and if possible soem details abt the same

Anonymous said...

feel like to visit these places. Aruthi

Anonymous said...

Hi Chinmayi, I read your blog on Michael;s ice cream and wanted to share my experience.

I did my 11 & 12 std in a Boarding school near malaikottai. i had heard of Michael's ice cream before but never tasted it. So wanted to go out to Michael's but hostel rules doesn't allow us to go out. After Half-yearly exams, my Office Mgmt Ma'm promised that she'll give a gift to the class topper in OM. I stood first and on the day of distributing papers she brought a gift to give me. After accepting the gift and after class , I went to her personally and told her thta i want Michael's ice cream as gift and returned the beautiful gold pen she gave me.

She took permission from my hostel authorities and took me to Michael's and got me 2 ice cream's and it costed us just 5 rupees ( 1993-94). After that, she gave me the pen too. I can never forget that day in my life or my OM Ma'm.

Sridevi
Chennai

Prince said...

Chinmayi,

You should also try the restaurant called "Banana Leaves" in MainGaurd Gate, next to Holy cross College. The food is served in Banana Leave and everything taste so good.

Anonymous said...

Michael's is my favorite since early 90's...I love the place...espcially the one with fruits...

Anonymous said...

Michael's is a nice place. Those rendu roobai ice-creams were really a nice deal. Through out my four years stay @Trichy, they were having it on the menu. Kinda feeling nostalgic... :)

Anonymous said...

Nice!