Monday, November 17, 2008

Happy!

Is the general feeling after the concert yesterday. The euphoria prevailed much longer. Frankly my stomach had been in knots for several days prior to the concert and have been working pretty hard for this one. Did not listen to any music other than the songs I had to sing. The radio was switched off. Haven't heard anything else.
As soon as this particular show was announced the tickets were sold out within three days of the box office opening, as said by the presenter Neelu yesterday and it also tempted them to hold another concert of the same kind, we were told.
Shreeni sir opened the show with "Main Kya jaanoon", Anuradha Sriram opened with Ayiyae Meherban, and after two of her songs and the song Naresh opened with, the song skips my memory cells right now, and I opened with a few lines of Kuhu Kuhu and went on to sing Thade Rahiyo.
Kuhu Kuhu was the song that I sang in Saptaswarangal, in Tamil of course, Shreeni sir judged me for that song and I went on to meet Rahman sir. So this song, was my personal tribute to Rahman sir and Shreeni Sir.
In the total list of 30 songs I had to sing Tu jahan jahan chalega, Bahon Mein chale aao, Jaiye aap kahan jayenge, Kora Kagaz tha with Shreeni Sir, Jaaneja with Naresh and Kajra Mohabbatwala with Anuradha Sriram. The last two songs for the evening were Aaja Aaja and Jai Jai Shivshankar were we totally freaked out.
I had been wishing to be a part of the November Fest for quite a while, as I had already said before and it was an honour to be there. A whole set of the discerning audience of Chennai, the kind which can tear some of the greatest classical musicians apart if they were not upto their mark, the kind of audience, who have strong convictions about not just the concert quality and artiste selection, accompaniments, quality of music but also on minutest of details, like the demeanor of the musicians, attitude, attire and so on. Like Shreeni sir said post-concert, this is a different platform because, usually the audience is in awe of the artiste, but here, the artistes are also in awe of the audience.
It was also like as soon as the curtains go up, the audience is like yeah now, show us what you can do. :)
Somehow Vairamuthu sir's words rang true yesterday, "vayitrukkum thondaikkum uruvam illa, oru urundaiyum uruludhaDi". I was praying the entire Universe for help and that I should do well. I had slogged it out. And I needed divine grace. Maybe that happened yesterday.
I made a new investment on a Sennheiser In-ear monitor for this concert, got it at a great deal at Pro Music. Expected to pay a bomb, but ended up paying far less. I felt extremely grateful for that gesture. This was a point in time when I remembered the struggles of the past and that the Creator showed us enough grace in getting us to meet kind hearted people as well.
At the rehearsals on the day before the concert, at the Mini Hall, was when I checked out Shreeni Sir's in-ear monitors. And I liked the way it felt. And I liked the way I could hear myself.
In most of the live concerts I have been a part of, sound has almost always been an issue. It would be a guess work most of the times as I would be unable to hear what I had sung. If you are not a performer, you might wonder how that is possible. But it is. You might be singing, but you'll totally not hear yourself. If you have ever sung on stage before, maybe you would know what I am talking about.
The concert yesterday was a breeze. Of course everyone in the audience had their own set of favourites that they expected to hear which would be impossible to fulfill but Shreeni Sir and Anuradha sang small portions of several songs when they went in for their acts which I am sure fulfilled at least a part of the everyone's wishlist.
Naresh's Parda hai Parda, with Shreeni sir backing him up, had a major reception with the audience. There were several requests for an encore.
Kajra Mohabbatwala, a female duet was my fun time as well. The lyrics are naughty and I had great fun. Aaja Aaja and Jai Jai Shivshankar was what I was personally waiting for as well. Naresh and I had decided earlier to join the audience but it took us a while to figure out how to get out of the stage. And we figured the exit by the time we finished Aaja Aaja and joined the audience for Jai Jai Shivshankar. And yes the very same discerning audience, at least a few of them, joined us in dancing and revelry. I had a great time dancing with this particular lady who was probably 65+ or maybe more. She was such a great sport. I have always felt that the older generation loved dancing and singing. My grandmother used to do a lot of such antics. She is pushing 90 now. But somehow I think, maybe that generation was really not so wound up in spite of the demands of tradition and everything else.
Joining the crowds and singing at the same time was something that I have been waiting to do for ages but in most cases, us girls are advised against doing so, mainly by the organizers and the security. Most audiences are not safe. The security personnel are highly protective and justifiably so. Going to the audience, being in their midst and singing along was finally possible at the Music Academy yesterday. I would have loved to go up. But we did not have the time to traverse the steps. That was another Wish fulfilled.
To me, yesterday's concert was a dream come true and I was giving my thanks to the Universe for making it happen. Personal thanks also go to The Hindu, particularly Mukund Padmanabhan and Shreeni sir who pencilled in my name as one of the artsites. The musicians who accompanied us were brilliant. Most of them were from Trivandrum and a few of the musicians were from Chennai.
I hardly caught a wink of sleep last night. Maybe it was the adrenalin. Or whatever else. But this was definitely a concert to remember.

18 comments:

Krishnan KR said...

Sad !! I could not make it to the concert !!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chinmayi,

Good to hear about the concert. Have great time!

Cheers
Viji R

Dee said...

You write so well !! It looks like an unfiltered expression of thoughts, yet so clear and coherent and in the right sequence. When I write something in a spurt I enjoy it more, but sometimes I feel might be making it a monotonous read and feel the need to make it interesting.
But you seem to do both with ease :-)

SARAS said...

thank you chinmayi

bash said...

Hi Chinmayi... very very amazed to hear about the outcome... even its expected-think its more than that... U ve portrayed its complete LIVE & FEEL... almost enjoyed the feel of presence there...

this sincere n discipline effort with the frank acknoeledgement of ur feel,rehersal,mindset....wil take U to the musical mountains consistently...

Heartiest Wishes !...Well Done & Keep it going Up...Up....Up...

ப்ரியா கதிரவன் said...

congratulations chinmayi. happy for you.

பிரியமுடன்... said...

வயிற்றுக்கும் தொண்டைக்கும் உருவமில்லாதொரு
உருண்டையும் உருளுதடி!
உங்களுக்கு மட்டுமில்லை
எங்களுக்குந்தான்!
எனக்கு என்னவோ
உங்கள் அழகான பதிவிலேயே
நிகழ்ச்சியை முழுவதும் பார்த்த
நிறைவு கிடைத்திருப்பதாக தோன்றுகிறது!
இசையும் அறிவும்
இணைந்திருக்கிறது உங்களுக்கு
இறைவன் அருளட்டும்!

மேடையில் பாடும்போது பாடுபவர் காது அருகில் இருந்தாலும் அது அவருக்கு கேட்'காது' என்பதுதான் உண்மைதான்! வாழ்த்துக்கள்!

சாதித்தவர்களுக்கு ஓய்வு என்பது அவசியம்....தூக்கமும் கண்களை தழுவட்டுமே.....

குப்பன்.யாஹூ said...

Its nice to hear this. We all told you not to get tensed,

Please get too much tension, it would affect your health.

kuppan_yahoo

Anonymous said...

Hi
I totally get it ... in fact I got the info with vivid emotional description of the perfomances of the evening from my parents there at Chennai. I had mailed them the tickets after booking it on the Net as a surprise. And it seems you guys topped that surprise by giving a lively performance of the highest standard. My mom was totally gaga ... in fact she gave me an earful for getting them the best tickets for a 'ivlo kaasu koduthu edhuku da' amount of money...but you guys smothered with another earful of honey... it seems !

Though I wasn't there ... I derived the vicarious pleasure through my parents' narrative...as good as it gets!

Thank you Chinmayi...and the whole team of the Novemberfest concert!

bala said...

Hi Chinamayi
I am bala, 21 from Singapore. In their hectic lifestyle few things are amusing and entertaining for my parents and make their hearts feel at home(india).

One of those things is super singer. It does showcases a lot of young budding talents and also a wonderful host who is versatile. Keep up the great job.

I watched Varnam Aayiram and it had got to be the most inspiring tamil movie to be made in years. I watched it on saturday with my friends and sunday with my family. It quenched by sore eyes which has been longing for a great movie. Great dubbing and the songs are awesome.( Try Acting some day, haha)

I am a big fan of the singer of kannathil muthamittal song and gosh when i found it was you, i was delighted. It's one of my all-time favourite songs and it's a pleasure to hear you.I wonder if anyone could sing it better. I just wish i could catch you live one day.

IF you would like to read a few books(check in my blog, latest entry, few recommendations)

www.endearing-bedlam.blogspot.com

and if you have time for two movies
"Shawshank Redemption"
" Dead Poet's Society"

I hope you cherish this opportunities and achieve what you intend to and hopefully do not get too distracted by media and fall prey to false circumstances.

Wishing you all the best

cheers
Bala =)

Anonymous said...

Happy? ha...ha...ha.. dont publish this ok... good! Take care bye
Prem.

Unknown said...

Thank you Chinmayi.

I missed this time.

Anonymous said...

Now, if we get you into the world charts, the deal is done :)

Congrats!

Maddy said...

You are sounding so happy. Wishing you many more occasions like this.

Is there any chance of getting glimpses of the concert in youtube/any other sites?

mageshonthedot said...

Modesty is thy name Chinmayi ?:-) Congrats to u and ur team for a great performance. If luck and talent favor, becoming an overnight success aint a dream. But then the task starts there. From ur narration, it's evident that sustenance requires a great degree of dedication, no complacency, competing with self to better one's last best and above all humility :-) wish most of us common people practiced such great traits demonstrated by u and scores of celebrities. We'd be thousand times more successful :-) kudos again to u as a pro and as a human. May ur tribe increase.

Teshu said...

The title suits the blogpost really well. You sound genuinely happy - it can be felt while reading.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Would be very grateful for any chance seeing the videos of this show.
-Raji