Sunday, October 05, 2008

Vennila Kabadi Kuzhu

I was pretty lucky to get this song in 'Vennila...' for several reasons. This was the second time that I was singing for Sri Selvaganesh. All that I remember was that I was a bunch of nerves while going in to record. For one, his lineage, being Sri Vikku Vinayakram's son. And Sri Selvaganesh himself is one of the best laya vidwans of today.
It took me a while to get my groove but I guess I eventually did thanks to Selva sir. He was extremely understanding. When the track started playing it was an awesome feeling and I gave a silent prayer to the Gods above for yet another opportunity.
Time and again, I am asked why is it that I sound different in every song. And whether it is a concerted decision. Honestly, I think there is no pre-conceived notion to sound different. Every song, reveals to me a new wispy shade that I adore as the song progresses. And quite simply I just allow myself to be directed. To me, Only the music director's opinion matters. At the end of the day, I, the singer am but an instrument for the composer's musical expression. I somehow don't give myself more importance than that. The composer requires a voice to reach the people and I luckily get chosen on some occasions. And that is all there is to it. And like with instruments each one has a tone, a feel, a certain make, origin, a lineage. Of course, the voice is definitely the most malleable instrument that one can ever have, if, of course, it has been conditioned that way and does not allow the shackles of the mind, amongst the most important things, to confine it.
From the time I recorded this particular song, I have been waiting to hear it on my headphones. I have loved listening to this album as a whole and think you would too.
Have a listen here

19 comments:

ILA (a) இளா said...

Already this movie is expected..good to hear that you are also part of. will comment once hear to the song

satya said...

i love the way you host super singer!
simple and superb. keep it up!

SARAS said...

I love your singing. It is really amazing one

Anonymous said...

Awesome Madam!!!

nice to hear ur voice in different styles.....

Viswanathan said...

Hi,

" Only the music director's opinion matters. At the end of the day, I, the singer am but an instrument for the composer's musical expression. I somehow don't give myself more importance than that. The composer requires a voice to reach the people and I luckily get chosen on some occasions."

I understand that ARR is the opposite; he give singers the freedom to let go.

How do you reconcile yourself to both type of composers?

Rivjot said...

a really nice song and very well sung :)

Chinmayi Sripada /Chinmayee said...

thanks everyone
Ottayan: I was specifying my take on how I record. To ME only the composer's idea matters. I guess you misunderstood the whole thing.

Balaji P G said...

oops!!! the link doesn't work...

Anonymous said...

Heard the song,Very well sung.....

Good variation in voice...

Keep rocking....

Anonymous said...

Nice!!!!

Sri Shanmugam said...

Awesome voice in lesa song! Also your chinamma performance is airtel super singer was just too good! You are a truck of talents :)

Srivatsan said...

Hi Chimayi ur dance was nice in Airtel Super Singer. You Were Laughing throughout the song.Thanks for the info about this movie. Heared the songs of this movies its nice and ur song s also nice. Expecting a lot from Sri Selvaganesh in his upcoming movies

Anonymous said...

Chinmayi,

Ur dance was very nice in ASS...
at the end madam konjam tired agitinga....

but chinmayi paaduranga, aaduranga na yengalukku lam romba santhosam thaane :)

Vijay G S said...

Hey... i liked your avaram poo from poo than lesa parakkudhu from vennila kabadi kuzhu. Both the albums are good and it is difficult to believe these music directors are new comers !

Geetha Shridhar said...

Normal song, I cant make out any variation or appreciate this as a different kind of singing by chinmayi.

It lacks Chinmayi's touch/signature in the song- This is my frank opinion.

drashkum said...

great work. awesome song in bahudari raga. fullpoints to u

Anonymous said...

Composers musical expression is EXPRESSED by the singer and me, belonging to the group called 'people', i can tell you that a soulless singing however technically correct it is remains soulless. I get reminded of Amadeus. A beautiful movie about what soulful music is all about. A music that comes from soul and the music that comes from brain. Now, if singing is art then it is absolutely from the soul. Loved your singing in sakkarakatti. Sometimes i wonder attitude also influences singing...am not a singer but will like to know from you.

Anonymous said...

hii chinmayi...

its viishnu - hero of vennila kabadi kuzhu...

uve really done an amazing work..the song is loved by many...its my dads favourite...lukin forward as to how the movie itself is accepted by the audience..i wish its as sweetly accepted as ur voice is...

all d best..
viishnu

Vijay Krishnan said...

Chinmayi

Excellent work on the "lesa parakkudhu manasu" song - heart-ripping voice.

Congrats and keep up the soul-rendering musical journey

Vijay Krishnan